A NUMBER of the worldâs most expensive mansions belonging to celebrities are under threat as bushfires destroy parts of Los Angeles.
Multiple fires are sweeping across LA, forcing thousands to evacuate as firefighters battle to control the flames, reports The Sun.
Celebrities such as Jennifer Aniston, Chrissy Teigen, Chelsea Handler, Gisele Bündchen, Harrison Ford and Gwyneth Paltrow are all at risk of having their homes destroyed.
Australian supermodel, Nicole Trunfio, who is expecting her second child with musician Gary Clark Jr in five weeks took to social media to share her concerns.
“Just got to LA,” Trunfio wrote on Instagram, along with a news video, showing the fires burning. “Too close to my house.”
“Never thought I’d get to actually play what I thought was a hypothetical game of what would you grab if there were a fire. So far all I have is Luna, some limited edition Oreos and my Spike TV award,” Teigen tweeted as she evacuated.
She added: “We are fine and we will be fine. Thinking of everyone else affected and continuing my lifelong intense love of firefighters.”
Comedian Chelsea Handler was evacuated from her home. “Just evacuated my house. It’s like Donald Trump is setting the world on fire. Literally and figuratively. Stay safe everyone. Dark times.”
Lionel Richie took to social media to announce he was cancelling a scheduled performance to move his family to a “safer place” to escape the fire.
“Due to the devastating California Wildfires, and helping family evacuate to a safer place, I unfortunately have to cancel my show tonight,” Richie wrote via Twitter. “I look forward to returning to the stage this weekend and performing for my fans.”
Richie’s former wife and mother to Nicole Richie tweeted her thanks to her ex-husband for rushing to her aid.
“Lionel has been helping me evacuate. Thank God for him!” she tweeted.
Paris Hilton called the fires “terrifying” as she too was evacuated.
Gwyneth Paltrow, whose home was under threat, asked that, “God bless and protect our beautiful state and the men and women fighting these fires.”
Cher also took to Twitter to ask her followers to “please pray for my home state …. my birthplace, my beautiful California.”
Reality star Kim Kardashian tweeted out her support for her home state.
“I pray everyone in Los Angeles is safe from these fires and thank you to all of the fire fighters working so hard to keep everyone safe!”
Ruby Rose added her concerns: “These fires are so scary and I am hoping everyone is OK and praying for the people in those areas and the brave fire fighters and volunteers. My heart goes out to all the poor animals too.”
Actress Jennifer Tilly posted a photo of her trying to find a hotel room after being evacuated from her home.
“The fourth hotel we tried had a room,” she wrote. “Seems everyone is evacuating the wildfires.”
Ariana Grande‘s mother, Joan Grande, and her brother, Frankie Grande, expressed thanks for the fire department as they fled their homes.
The fire has incinerated more than 20,000 hectares around the city of Ventura, 80 kilometres from Los Angeles, fire officials said.
California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency, freeing state funds and resources to assist.
More than 250,000 homes were without power and all schools in the Ventura Unified School District cancelled classes for Wednesday.
The raging flames have destroyed 200 homes and forced 200,000 people to be evacuated.
But strong winds are hampering efforts by water-dropping helicopters and planes to tackle the fires.
The blaze, dubbed Thomas Fire, was the largest of several large blazes that broke out across Southern California following the onset of the Santa Ana winds.
Meanwhile in the San Fernando Valley north of Los Angeles, the so-called Creek Fire blackened more than 44,000 hectares.
Around 2500 homes were forced to evacuate but the highway remained open even as other roads were closed, officials said.
Three firefighters were injured and taken to a hospital, where they were in stable condition, the Los Angeles Fire Department said on its website.
Wind gusts were forecast to top out at 110 kilometres on Wednesday and remain strong through the week.
“We are still in the middle of an aggressive and active firefight on the ground,” said Robert Welsbie, spokesman for the Ventura Fire Department.
There were no immediate reports of fatalities or civilian casualties, Mr Welsbie said.
“The public did an outstanding job heeding our evacuation orders, getting out of these danger zones in a very prompt timely manner,” Mr Welsbie said.
— with The Sun